How to prevent and treat gallstones?
One of the most important elements in preventing gallstones is to ensure the liver produces enough bile and to help the release of bile. The thinner the bile, the easier it empties from the gallbladder. It is important to maintain a nutritious, balanced diet. For breakfast, it is advisable to eat soft-boiled eggs, bacon and toast with butter, all of which “call upon” the gallbladder and help empty the bile produced during the night. Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dine like a pauper.
How are gallstones developed?
Gallstones are formed when the bile in the gallbladder up and becomes a saturated solution and if, any reason, a few broken cells get mixed in it, small crystals begin to precipitate on them. These are then deposited in the form of small bile polyps on the inner wall of the gallbladder. Over time, more and more layers are deposited.
What are the causes of gallstone formation?
- One of the main causes is genetics, inherited primarily by women within the same family.
- It is also common in women during pregnancy, further influenced by lifestyle and diet.
- Another reason may be the insufficient intake of clean, non-carbonated and additive-free water, the proper water or general fluid intake being 3 but minimum 2 litres per day.
- Excessive fat intake may be the most common cause. Being overweight and having high cholesterol levels make people more susceptible to developing gallstones.
- On the other hand, people on certain diets may also be at risk if they do not consume sufficient amount of fat or oil in their food to stimulate the gallbladder and produce adequate bile.
- In summary, genetics, malnutrition and liver dysfunction are the principal causes of gallstone formation.
The main symptoms of gallstones are:
- abdominal cramps
- pain under the right costal margin
- aches and stabbing pain radiating to the back
What can people with already developed gallstones do?
- take herbal medications containing bile acid and possibly bitter ingredients combined
- less stressful lifestyle